Supt. McCarthy comments on fatal shooting of unarmed Chicagoan - FOX 13 News

Supt. McCarthy comments on fatal shooting of unarmed Chicagoan

Posted: Updated:
CHICAGO (FOX 32 News) -

Police Superintendent Garry McCarthy on Monday defended the conduct of an off-duty cop whose shooting of an unarmed man was caught on surveillance cameras a year ago.

“The officer called 911. I think he fulfilled his obligation,” McCarthy said.

McCarthy responded for the first time to questions raised by relatives of Marlon Horton regarding the conduct of the off-duty police officer who shot and killed Horton last year.

According to the family's lawsuit, Officer Kenneth Walker was working a second job as a CHA security officer when 28-year-old Horton had been told to leave the CHA building. Horton apparently urinated on the guard's SUV, and then the surveillance footage suggests the off-duty cop initiates a physical scuffle and ends up shooting unarmed Horton.

Police reports suggest Horton had lunged for a weapon, but his family claims deadly force was unnecessary

“It's hard to watch, man. It's hard to see them in a situation where he didn't have to die. I felt like they just murdered him,” brother Jarrod Horton said.

The family is also upset that after the shooting, Horton appears to be alive, but Officer Walker does nothing to help him other than call 911. FOX 32 News asked Superintendent McCarthy whether the officer there has an obligation to provide medical assistance.

“I don't think they have an obligation. I'd have to go back and check. But at the end of the day, he also called 911 to report what had occurred, which is providing medical assistance,” McCarthy said.

The Superintendent suggested the officer could have been traumatized by the incident.

“Comforting somebody you were just in a life or death situation with is not an easy thing to do. The officers are going through trauma at that point. Most of them go for counseling after such an incident like that,” McCarthy added.

The CHA has declined to discuss the shooting.

Through the private security firm, FOX 32 reached out to the two guards involved in the incident and neither has gotten back to us.

It'll be one year on Sunday since Marlon Horton was shot and killed. The Independent Police Review Authority's investigation into the shooting is still not finished.

Follow Us!

Share Your Photos & Video

Powered by WorldNow

FOX 13 / WTVT-TV
3213 West Kennedy Blvd.
Tampa, Florida 33609
Main: (813) 876-1313
Newsroom: (813) 870-9630
Fax: (813) 871-3135

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices