Joey and Chloe the pugs were inseparable.
"We have been married for 23 years we didn't have any kids. These are our kids," said Alberto Porras.
They made the Porras family complete, until a few weeks ago when heartache came in the form of a phone call.
"The veterinarian for Royal Pet Market and Resort informed them of complications with Chloe and she passed away," said attorney Amy Ruiz.
The dogs had been staying there while their owners were away on vacation in June.
"They came to find out that Chloe had passed away it had been determined as a result of heat stroke," Ruiz said.
The Porras' attorney says a necropsy report filed by the family's vet revealed the dog had an internal temperature of 109 degrees.
"The worst experience of my life," said Amy Porras.
The family plans to sue for the value of the dog and emotional distress, claiming the business was negligent by leaving Chloe outside and unattended in the blazing sun.
"At no time was she left unattended. She had a royal suite, indoor-outdoor, while we were cleaning her room her and brother were left together the entire stay," said Royal Pet Market and Resort owner Denise Wolin-Gore.
Wolin-Gore says she's devastated over Chloe's death, but denies any wrong doing.
She says the dog likely died from a prior condition.
"It is the stridor or the obstructed airway that caused the issue with her," she said. "If it was a heat issue Chloe could've walked inside," she added.
FOX 13 / WTVT-TV
Didn't find what you were looking for?