In an emotional 15-minute interview with syndicated radio host Bubba the Love Sponge, George Meredith lays out what he thinks sparked the fireworks accident that killed his wife Kathryn Flint on July 4th.
"The only thing we can come up with is that when she brought towels in there, mortars on the side of the bed, towels there on the bed -- static electricity," he told the radio host.
Those towels, George says, were straight from the dryer and full of static.
"Have you ever seen how much static is in a towel when you take it out of the dryer?" he said.
The accidental ignition set off a chain of explosions, one mortar then another. George says there were 200 of them in the bedroom. Flint suffered serious burns all over her body.
"When I walked around the corner, saw five doctors, knew it was over then," he said.
Officially, the cause of the fire is still unknown, but is static even a possibility?
Turns out, it’s not out of the question. According to the State Fire Marshal, static was to blame for 113 fires statewide last year. It’s a small percentage of the total number of cases, but not an impossibility.
"We won't leave any stones unturned, make sure we've investigated everything we can, investigate every angle," said Auburndale Police Deputy Chief Andy Ray.
Officials are also looking at the possibility that a cigarette that may have sparked the blaze, and caused George Meredith untold amounts of pain.
"When I had make that call to pull the plug -- hardest decision of my life," Meredith told Bubba.
He also says there will be a fundraiser / memorial for his wife on July 19th at the Bubba Mud Ranch in Auburndale.
FOX 13 / WTVT-TV
Didn't find what you were looking for?