NYPD deploys more cops to high-crime neighborhoods - FOX 13 News

NYPD deploys more cops to high-crime neighborhoods

Posted: Updated:
NEW YORK (MYFOXNY) -

Hundreds of NYPD officers will be added to high-crime neighborhoods all over the city to help fight a rise in shootings.

The NYPD released a video of a shooting over the weekend that happened in the 79th Precinct in Brooklyn. The video shows a man reaching into his pocket, grabbing a gun, and starts firing. The suspect is still on the loose.

Statistics show gun violence is up in New York City. In the first six months of this year, shootings rose 8 percent over the same time period last year.

"Are we concerned about the shooting increase? We certainly are," Police Commissioner Bill Bratton said. He unveiled a new program called Summer All Out. 313 officers currently assigned to desk jobs will be putting on their uniforms and returning to the streets to patrol 10 different high-crime neighborhoods.

"In the large geographic precincts such as the 47, which is up in Wakefield, the Bronx, they've had a large number of increase in shootings," NYPD Chief of Patrol James O'Neill said. "And the 69 out in Canarsie, we sent additional officers."

The 69th Precinct in Canarsie will have 40 additional officers patrolling.

Back in May, the City Council requested that Mayor Bill de Blasio hire 1,000 more police officers. The mayor rejected that request, saying there was not enough money available in the budget.

"I can always use more cops but if the budget doesn't support it, budget doesn't support it," Bratton said.

But a spokesperson for the city's largest police union -- the Patrolmen's Benevolent Association -- said hiring more NYPD officers is critical.

In a statement, PBA President Pat Lynch criticized the Summer All Out initiative.

"It is a last ditch, band-aid response to the escalating gun violence and disorder in this City," he said.

The Summer All Out program is temporary. It is expected to last 90 days.

Bratton did point out that more than 600 officers graduated from the Police Academy last week .Soon they will also be hitting the streets in these high-crime neighborhoods.

 

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Toddler safe after stroller falls onto tracks

    Toddler safe after stroller falls onto tracks

    Tuesday, July 22 2014 7:18 AM EDT2014-07-22 11:18:12 GMT
    Authorities say a 2-year-old girl is safe after the stroller she was in rolled off a Queens subway platform onto the tracks. Fire Department officials say it happened at the Jamaica Center-Parsons Boulevard stop in Jamaica at 11:26 a.m. Monday. Witnesses say the mother had turned away briefly to put something in the trash when the strolled fell onto the empty tracks.
    Authorities say a 2-year-old girl is safe after the stroller she was in rolled off a Queens subway platform onto the tracks. Fire Department officials say it happened at the Jamaica Center-Parsons Boulevard stop in Jamaica at 11:26 a.m. Monday. Witnesses say the mother had turned away briefly to put something in the trash when the strolled fell onto the empty tracks.
  • Search for masked robbers in Caesars heist

    Search for masked robbers in Caesars heist

    Tuesday, July 22 2014 7:05 AM EDT2014-07-22 11:05:17 GMT
    Police in southern New Jersey are on the hunt for two suspects who made off with more than $180K from Caesars Atlantic City casino. The brazen robbers reportedly stole the cash from two plastic boxes on the casino floor. The robbery occurred on Monday at about 6 a.m. The masked robbers took off in a vehicle. The State Police Casino Gaming Bureau is handling the investigation.
    Police in southern New Jersey are on the hunt for two suspects who made off with more than $180K from Caesars Atlantic City casino. The brazen robbers reportedly stole the cash from two plastic boxes on the casino floor. The robbery occurred on Monday at about 6 a.m. The masked robbers took off in a vehicle. The State Police Casino Gaming Bureau is handling the investigation.
  • Poll: It doesn't take money to be stylish

    Poll: It doesn't take money to be stylish

    Tuesday, July 22 2014 6:53 AM EDT2014-07-22 10:53:49 GMT
    A new Marist College poll finds most Americans say it doesn't take a lot of money to be stylish. The nationwide poll by the Hudson Valley college found 86 percent of respondents said it was possible to be stylish on a limited budget. The other 14 percent agreed with the statement that it's only possible to have good style with a lot of money. The poll also found that 68 percent of Americans think we focus too much on fashion.
    A new Marist College poll finds most Americans say it doesn't take a lot of money to be stylish. The nationwide poll by the Hudson Valley college found 86 percent of respondents said it was possible to be stylish on a limited budget. The other 14 percent agreed with the statement that it's only possible to have good style with a lot of money. The poll also found that 68 percent of Americans think we focus too much on fashion.

Powered by WorldNow

FOX 13 / WTVT-TV
3213 West Kennedy Blvd.
Tampa, Florida 33609
Main: (813) 876-1313
Newsroom: (813) 870-9630
Fax: (813) 871-3135

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices