Several residents are without homes this morning after an early morning fire tore through a Tampa apartment complex.
It happened at the Watermans Crossing Apartments at 4515 North Rome Avenue around 12:30 a.m.
Firefighters said the flames started on the second floor and quickly moved to the third level. Several units responded to the scene as the flames engulfed much of the building.
By 2 a.m., most of the fire was out. Thankfully, fire officials are not reporting any injuries.
However, the damage is so bad that several residents have been displaced.
FOX 13's Shayla Reaves spoke with residents who described a scary scene. Angela Watson said she was thankful that he son "taught me how to maneuver," describing how quickly she had to get out.
She said she opened her door and "flames literally shot right over her head."
Officials later in the morning determined the fire was caused by "unattended cooking." It started in the kitchen inside one of the apartments. The total damage done to the building was about $310,000.
Stay with FOX 13 for updates.
FOX 13 / WTVT-TV
Didn't find what you were looking for?