Pulaski Skyway closure - FOX 13 News

Pulaski Skyway closure

Posted: Updated:
A portion of the Pulaski Skyway over in Newark, N.J. (AP Photo/Julio Cortez) A portion of the Pulaski Skyway over in Newark, N.J. (AP Photo/Julio Cortez)
NEW YORK (MYFOXNY) - The first weekday test of the closed, northbound Pulaski Skyway wasn't much different from any other Monday.

An estimated 40,000 motorists who take the Skyway toward Jersey City and Manhattan every day are now forced to find an alternate route. All northbound lanes were closed on Saturday for two-years during a rehabilitation project on the 82 year old span.

The anticipated "car mageddon" did not pan out but that could have a lot to do with fewer people traveling due to spring break for many local schools.

The makeover will cost about $1 billion.

“The bottom is really corroded. It’s just a matter of time before something significant can happen. You could classify it as a death trap. The alternative was to shut it down, limited, for the next 6, 7, 8 years which was not a good option,” said Jersey City Mayor Fulop.

The southbound lanes remain open and are safe to travel.

NJ State transportation officials are urging motorists to carpool, take public transportation or use alternate routes. New Jersey Transit and PATH are adding capacity on some of their trains to handle the anticipated overflow.

The DOT will be paying for extra cops in Newark and Jersey City to help with the morning rush.

"It's going to be an inconvenience," said Fulop.

If you were planning on ignoring the alternate routes and driving through side streets, cops warn that you could get hit with a ticket.

Alternate routes recommended by the New Jersey Department of Transportation:

  • New Jersey Turnpike Newark Bay-Hudson County Extension.
  • (I-78) eastbound shoulder will be converted into a third travel lane during morning and evening peak travel periods.
  • Truck Routes 1&9.
www.pulaskiskyway.com

Copyright 2014 MyFoxNY/The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
  • New Jersey NewsNew Jersey NewsMore>>

  • New Jersey detective acquitted in Maryland highway shooting

    NJ detective acquitted in Md. highway shooting

    Thursday, July 31 2014 5:20 PM EDT2014-07-31 21:20:31 GMT
    A jury has found a New Jersey detective not guilty in the slaying of a driver during an alleged road-rage incident. Joseph Walker, 41, an investigator for the Hudson County, New Jersey, prosecutor's office, was found not guilty on all counts on Wednesday in Anne Arundel County Circuit Court. He had been charged with first-degree murder in the death of Joseph Harvey, 36, of Landsdowne.
    A jury has found a New Jersey detective not guilty in the slaying of a driver during an alleged road-rage incident. Joseph Walker, 41, an investigator for the Hudson County, New Jersey, prosecutor's office, was found not guilty on all counts on Wednesday in Anne Arundel County Circuit Court. He had been charged with first-degree murder in the death of Joseph Harvey, 36, of Landsdowne.
  • Man charged for the overdose death of Hillsborough resident on Christmas Eve

    Man charged for the overdose death of Hillsborough resident on Christmas Eve

    Thursday, July 31 2014 11:38 AM EDT2014-07-31 15:38:39 GMT

    A Bridgewater man has been charged with the death of a 22-year-old Hillsborough resident who overdosed on Heroin Christmas Eve morning, according to nj.com.

    A Bridgewater man has been charged with the death of a 22-year-old Hillsborough resident who overdosed on Heroin Christmas Eve morning, according to nj.com.

  • East Hanover man admits exposing himself to child

    East Hanover man admits exposing himself to child

    Thursday, July 31 2014 11:34 AM EDT2014-07-31 15:34:55 GMT
    An East Hanover man previously convicted of child endangerment pleaded guilty Wednesday to exposing himself to another child on several occasions when she was between the ages of 4 and 6. Kenneth Lull, 48, who has been in jail since 2008, received a three-year suspended sentence under the plea agreement, according to NJ.com.
    An East Hanover man previously convicted of child endangerment pleaded guilty Wednesday to exposing himself to another child on several occasions when she was between the ages of 4 and 6. Kenneth Lull, 48, who has been in jail since 2008, received a three-year suspended sentence under the plea agreement, according to NJ.com.
Powered by WorldNow

FOX 13 / WTVT-TV
3213 West Kennedy Blvd.
Tampa, Florida 33609
Main: (813) 876-1313
Newsroom: (813) 870-9630
Fax: (813) 871-3135

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices