Jets and Giants reach deal with developer on Meadowlands megamal - FOX 13 News

Jets and Giants reach deal with developer on Meadowlands megamall

Posted: Updated:

NEWARK, N.J. (AP) -- New Jersey's two pro football teams and a developer have settled dueling lawsuits, clearing the way for a long-delayed megamall project at the Meadowlands sports complex.

The New York Giants, New York Jets and developer Triple Five Inc. released a statement Wednesday that confirmed the settlement, but neither side provided specific details.

Originally known as Xanadu and scheduled to open in 2007, the project languished during the economic downturn before Triple Five, whose properties include the Mall of America in Minnesota, took over at the end of 2010.

The immense, pastel-hued structure, once called "the ugliest damn building in New Jersey" by Gov. Chris Christie, has sat unfinished between MetLife Stadium and the New Jersey Turnpike for several years. During last month's Super Bowl it was used as a command center for security operations.

Triple Five's new vision, dubbed American Dream, is planned to include a waterpark and Hollywood-themed amusement park in addition to dining and retail.

The Jets and Giants sued the developer in 2012, claiming Triple Five didn't get their permission -- as required under an earlier agreement -- to expand the footprint for the mall from its original design. They sought to have the mall closed on game days to avoid traffic backups.

Triple Five countersued, accusing the teams of engaging in an illegal campaign to stop the project from being completed.

While details of the settlement remain confidential, a statement from Christie's office appeared to demonstrate that the sides had reached a compromise on a traffic and parking plan.

The settlement provides for a cooperative effort by Triple Five, the teams and various state agencies to implement "a variety of mass transit and traffic improvements that will complement a detailed traffic and parking management plan designed to enhance the experience of all visitors ... particularly on NFL game days," the statement read.

Triple Five spokesman Alan Marcus said construction has been underway at the site since November and that it would pick up once the weather improved. The exterior has been completed but the interior is unfinished.

The developer hasn't said when the project is expected to be completed, though a year ago it was estimated it would take about 24 months once construction restarted.

At least there is hope for those who, like Christie, have expressed displeasure with the exterior: A computer rendering on Triple Five's website shows the outside of the building without the rectangular pastel panels.

  • New Jersey NewsNew Jersey NewsMore>>

  • Search for masked robbers in Caesars heist

    Search for masked robbers in Caesars heist

    Tuesday, July 22 2014 3:28 PM EDT2014-07-22 19:28:51 GMT
    The hunt is on in southern New Jersey for two suspects who made off with more than $180K from Caesars Atlantic City casino. The brazen robbers reportedly stole the cash from two plastic boxes on the casino floor. The robbery occurred on Monday at about 6 a.m. The masked robbers took off in a vehicle. The State Police Casino Gaming Bureau is handling the investigation.
    The hunt is on in southern New Jersey for two suspects who made off with more than $180K from Caesars Atlantic City casino. The brazen robbers reportedly stole the cash from two plastic boxes on the casino floor. The robbery occurred on Monday at about 6 a.m. The masked robbers took off in a vehicle. The State Police Casino Gaming Bureau is handling the investigation.
  • Jets eliminating paper season tickets

    Jets eliminating paper season tickets

    Tuesday, July 22 2014 2:04 PM EDT2014-07-22 18:04:58 GMT
    The New York Jets are doing away with paper tickets for season ticket holders, while offering those fans a rewards plan for showing up regularly and behaving properly.
    The New York Jets are doing away with paper tickets for season ticket holders, while offering those fans a rewards plan for showing up regularly and behaving properly.
  • 2 upper level GWB east lanes closed for repairs

    2 upper level GWB east lanes closed for repairs

    Tuesday, July 22 2014 1:19 PM EDT2014-07-22 17:19:59 GMT
    Workers have closed two upper level eastbound lanes on the George Washington Bridge for emergency repairs. The closures affect New York City bound motorists. Officials expect the lanes will remain closed until 3 p.m. Tuesday. Motorists heading into New York City should use the lower level or consider alternate Hudson River crossings.
    Workers have closed two upper level eastbound lanes on the George Washington Bridge for emergency repairs. The closures affect New York City bound motorists. Officials expect the lanes will remain closed until 3 p.m. Tuesday. Motorists heading into New York City should use the lower level or consider alternate Hudson River crossings.
Powered by WorldNow

FOX 13 / WTVT-TV
3213 West Kennedy Blvd.
Tampa, Florida 33609
Main: (813) 876-1313
Newsroom: (813) 870-9630
Fax: (813) 871-3135

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices