Hundreds of passengers sickened on cruise ship - FOX 13 News

Hundreds of passengers sickened on cruise ship

Posted: Updated:
By FOX NEWS -

The Royal Caribbean Explorer of the Seas cruise ship set sail from Bayonne, NJ on Tuesday for the Caribbean, but now the trip has been cut short and the boat is headed back after hundreds of people on board became sick with gastrointestinal symptoms consistent with the highly contagious Norovirus.

The CDC said early Monday that 564 of the 3,050 passengers aboard the 15-deck ship reported getting sick during the cruise.

Connecticut passenger Arnee Dodd tweeted that she was among the ill, saying:  "They immediately quarantined every sick person & put a lockdown on food & are constantly cleaning everything.”

On Sunday, officials from the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention boarded the ship in St. Thomas to investigate.

Vince Ignizio and his wife Camille live in Staten Island and are on board the ship right now. Neither of them were sick, but the Ignizio's are the parents of New York City Councilman Vincent Ignizio, who cruised on the Explorer of the seas with his wife just two months ago.

Councilman Vincent Ignizio who is from the Staten Island 51st council district says they're doing whatever they can to sanitize the ship. “But you still have 1000 people on board, it’s a dangerous situation” he said.

The outbreak is the second on a Royal Caribbean cruise in as many weeks.

Dozens of passengers on their majesty of the seas SHIP became sick with a stomach virus last week.

“It seems to be happening more and more, perhaps we need to increase the inspection period from two times a year” Ignezio said.

Of this latest incident on board the explorer of the seas, Royal Caribbean said in a statement:  "...we think the right thing to do is to bring our guests home early, and use the extra time to sanitize the ship even more thoroughly. We are sorry for disappointing our guests, and we are taking several steps to compensate them for their inconvenience."

  • New Jersey NewsNew Jersey NewsMore>>

  • Newark, Jersey City, Paterson

    3 New Jersey mayors announce joint anti-crime plan

    3 New Jersey mayors announce joint anti-crime plan

    Monday, July 28 2014 6:28 PM EDT2014-07-28 22:28:17 GMT

    The mayors of New Jersey's three largest urban areas said Monday they are looking at inter-city collaboration as a way to stem the flow of bloodshed on their streets. Newark Mayor Ras Baraka, Jersey City Mayor Steven Fulop and Paterson Mayor Jose Torres spoke mainly in generalities about the partnership, but said specifics would be hammered out at a mayors' roundtable that will convene in September.

    The mayors of New Jersey's three largest urban areas said Monday they are looking at inter-city collaboration as a way to stem the flow of bloodshed on their streets. Newark Mayor Ras Baraka, Jersey City Mayor Steven Fulop and Paterson Mayor Jose Torres spoke mainly in generalities about the partnership, but said specifics would be hammered out at a mayors' roundtable that will convene in September.


  • Massive brawl at NJ wedding

    Massive brawl at NJ wedding

    Monday, July 28 2014 2:24 PM EDT2014-07-28 18:24:34 GMT
    As many as 300 people became involved in a massive brawl at a New Jersey wedding hall that ended with two arrests on Sunday night.  Middletown police say that the fight broke out at about 10:30 p.m. at the Jacques Reception Hall on Palmer Ave. in Middletown.
    As many as 300 people became involved in a massive brawl at a New Jersey wedding hall that ended with two arrests on Sunday night.  Middletown police say that the fight broke out at about 10:30 p.m. at the Jacques Reception Hall on Palmer Ave. in Middletown.
  • Woman gets 20-year prison term for fatal stabbing

    Woman gets 20-year prison term for fatal stabbing

    Sunday, July 27 2014 2:32 PM EDT2014-07-27 18:32:05 GMT
    A southern New Jersey woman who fatally stabbed a man last year during an argument in his home has been sentenced to 20 years in state prison.
    A southern New Jersey woman who fatally stabbed a man last year during an argument in his home has been sentenced to 20 years in state prison.
Powered by WorldNow

FOX 13 / WTVT-TV
3213 West Kennedy Blvd.
Tampa, Florida 33609
Main: (813) 876-1313
Newsroom: (813) 870-9630
Fax: (813) 871-3135

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices