Student Charged As Adult in School Shooting - FOX 13 News

ADVERTISEMENT
Bookmark and Share

Student Charged As Adult in School Shooting

Posted: Updated:
PHILADELPHIA -

Philadelphia Police have charged a student in connection with a school gymnasium shooting and released a second student who had been previously held in connection.

The alleged shooter, Raisheem Rochwell, 17, is being charged as an adult in the incident and faces charges of aggravated assault, recklessly endangering another person and firearms offenses. He is being held on $500,000 bail.

Rochwell turned himself in to police on Saturday.

Philadelphia Police responded to reports of a shooting at the Delaware Valley Charter High School around 3:30 P.M. on Friday. Upon arrival, police found two students in the school's gymnasium wounded by gunfire.

An 18-year-old female student was shot in the rear of her left arm. The bullet then exited her biceps and struck a 17 year old male student in the shoulder.

The students were quickly transported to Albert Einstein Medical Center. The female victim was placed in stable condition and released the same day.

Police placed the school on lockdown, and a SWAT team room to room to determine if the high school was safe. They determined it was not an "active-shooter" situation. They said video showed that the shooter fled the building quickly.

Sources tell FOX 29's Dave Schratwieser the student may have been playing with the gun or horsing around with it when the discharge occurred.

Police have not confirmed whether it was an accidental or intentional shooting.

The school officials and security initially provided descriptions that identified a possible suspect. Based off of this information, police took a 15-year-old student into custody around 4 p.m. After further investigation and questioning, police determined the teenager had no involvement in the shooting. He was released by 5:30 p.m.

After police examined the video further and conducted additional interviews, they narrowed the suspects down to two other students.

One student turned himself in to Northwest Detectives Friday night. The second suspect turned himself in around 1:45 p.m. Saturday.

As for the nature of the shooting, Ramsey said Friday, "I don't know if it's intentional or accidental or whatever, so -- looking at the video, it doesn't look like an active-shooter-type-of-situation, if that's your question. But he clearly had a firearm, and the firearm discharged, and now we have two kids injured."

The police commissioner said SWAT went through the school out of an abundance of caution, and there was obviously a breakdown in security.

In the aftermath of the shooting, police asked parents not to go to the school but to report to Fisher Avenue and Old York Road to pick up their children.

  • Local NewsMore>>

  • Only On Fox: Arsonist On The Loose In South Jersey Town

    Only On Fox: Arsonist On The Loose In South Jersey Town

    Wednesday, April 16 2014 4:45 PM EDT2014-04-16 20:45:07 GMT
    It started with a brush fire, then another fire at the rear of this home on Monroe Street and finally a blaze that swept through this vacant home up the block, just a few feet away from where Emma Sethman
    It started with a brush fire, then another fire at the rear of this home on Monroe Street and finally a blaze that swept through this vacant home up the block, just a few feet away from where Emma Sethman
  • Beautiful Easter Sunday

    Saturday, April 19 2014 8:09 PM EDT2014-04-20 00:09:12 GMT

    NICE EASTER WEEKEND

    The first half of the holiday weekend has been great and Easter Sunday looks just as nice. Clouds thin out late tonight with temperatures falling back to the 40s.

    Initially it'll be jacket weather early Sunday morning but plenty of sunshine will warm us into the 60s by afternoon.  High temperatures will be a few degrees cooler than Saturday.

    It will be noticeably cooler and breezy at the shore with highs in the low 50s.  Quiet conditions continue into Monday.

  • Overturned Boat Victim Identified, Search Continues

    Overturned Boat Victim Identified, Search Continues

    Overturned Boat Victim Identified, Search Continues

    Saturday, April 19 2014 7:38 PM EDT2014-04-19 23:38:03 GMT
    The Coast Guard have suspended an emergency search for a man who went overboard in a boat after he went missing. New Jersey State Police have identified him as 49-year old John J. Poltonowicz.
    The Coast Guard have suspended an emergency search for a man who went overboard in a boat after he went missing. New Jersey State Police have identified him as 49-year old John J. Poltonowicz.
Powered by WorldNow

FOX 13 / WTVT-TV
3213 West Kennedy Blvd.
Tampa, Florida 33609
Main: (813) 876-1313
Newsroom: (813) 870-9630
Fax: (813) 871-3135

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices