The future of Oldsmar Little League is in jeopardy after parents recently learned the city isn't renewing its agreement with the league allowing teams to use Canal Park, league president Dave Waldman said Sunday.
Waldman said the agreement has been in place since the league was formed in 1995 and has always been renewed. Last month he received a surprising letter from Oldsmar Leisure Services Director Lynn Rives notifying him of the decision.
"We want to do everything we can to save this league," Waldman said. "I've got my 7-year-old son who right now is really worried he's not going to be able to play baseball."
The letter, obtained by FOX 13 News, is three sentences long and doesn't give an explanation. Waldman said believes that Rives' decision was made, in part, because previous league board members mismanaged payments. But Waldman said those board members responsible for the issues are gone and the league's current board is making things right.
FOX 13 News made attempts Sunday to contact Rives and other city officials but were unsuccessful. Little League parents are planning on making an appeal to the Oldsmar City Council Tuesday and are hoping the decision will be reversed.
"Give the chance to play, give the kids a chance to be a part of a baseball team and see the smiles on their face, that's what we want," Waldman said.
More than 200 children are expected to be signed up to play in the spring season. If the decision isn't overturned, however, that season will likely be canceled. It's unclear if a different league would use the fields.
FOX 13 / WTVT-TV
Didn't find what you were looking for?