Carmen David looked on as her husband and other neighbors help a family restart their lives.
"They're so nice, so friendly, and they're just hard working people like the rest of us, trying to make a living, doing the best you can with what you got. And this happens right before the holiday," she said.
The fire hit early Monday morning in the 1300 block of East 29th Ave.
"You couldn't even see across the street the smoke was that bad," said Louis David.
It destroyed everything.
"It is just heart-breaking to lose stuff, especially right during the holiday," she cried.
The homeowners told us just hours before the fire, they celebrated a birthday with family members.
Then they went out for the evening.
"I am so thankful that nobody was in the house," Carmen said.
Carmen had to call them with the alarming news. Now she, her husband and others are helping the family recover.
"We're doing anything we can to help them," Louis said.
They know the feeling. Carmen and Louis lost everything to a fire five years ago, almost to the day.
"We know what we went through we can help you get through," she said.
Tampa Fire and Rescue said the cause of the fire was an electrical malfunction in the attic of the home. The fire was not suspicious and has been ruled accidental in nature.
FOX 13 / WTVT-TV
Didn't find what you were looking for?