Five Seminole Middle School students were hospitalized Monday afternoon after investigators say they ingested a parent's prescription medication.
Pinellas County Sheriff's deputies say all of the students involved were 8th grade girls. Deputies say a 14-year old girl swiped the pills from home, brought them to school, and passed them out to friends.
Later in the day, one of the girls got sick and was taken to the school nurse. Deputies say that's when she admitted to ingesting the pills with four friends.
All of the girls involved were rushed from school around 3 p.m. to All Children's Hospital. Deputies say the girls ingested the medication Hydroxyzine, an antihistamine that also treats anxiety.
They are all expected to be OK, and investigators say the hospital visit was largely a precaution.
Parents were alerted about the incident by a school-wide robocall.
"I don't know where they jump from being little innocent children, I mean it's just getting earlier and earlier all the time. It's just very sad," grandparent Linda Martian said.
The 14-year old girl is now facing felony charges. Pinellas County Sheriff's Office says she'll be charged with possessing the prescription medication and dispersing it.
The sheriff's office is urging parents to talk with kids and take a second look at their own medicine cabinet.
"Unfortunately, this goes back to what the sheriff's office and other law enforcement agencies stress, and we stress it again and again and again, is make sure the medications in your households are locked up securely," Sgt. David Disano said Monday.
Investigators say the prescription was legally obtained by the suspect's guardian. Deputies say the medication was taken, unbeknownst to the parents in the household.
FOX 13 / WTVT-TV
Didn't find what you were looking for?