1,300 Mich. residents pick insurance from website - FOX 13 News

1,300 Mich. residents pick insurance from website

Posted: Updated:

By DAVID EGGERT
Associated Press

LANSING, Mich. (AP) -- Slightly more than 1,300 Michigan residents chose a health insurance plan in the first month of enrollment in a federal marketplace created under the health care overhaul.

The number released Wednesday by the Obama administration confirms the problems people are having enrolling in private plans offered on a federal website. Michigan is among 36 states to let the federal government run the insurance exchange instead of having its own.

In Michigan, roughly 34,000 residents who applied for coverage were deemed eligible for the exchange. Of those, about 12,500 are eligible for tax credits to offset some of their premiums.

Separately, about 5,000 were ruled eligible for government-provided health care through Medicaid.

Coverage for exchange plans starts in January, and enrollment runs through March.

The state estimates at least 365,000 people could sign up on the market in 2014, while outside estimates put the figure at 127,000.

The release of the data prompted reaction from Democrats and Republicans who have battled over the 3-year-old health law, major provisions of which take effect in the 2014 election year.

U.S. Rep. Sander Levin, D-Mich., said 1.5 million Americans completing applications -- of which 106,000 followed through and picked a plan -- is a "meaningful start" despite logistical obstacles and opposition from the GOP.

The Michigan Republican Party said Michigan Democrats who voted for the law in Congress such as U.S. Senate candidate Gary Peters and gubernatorial candidate Mark Schauer have not been aggressive in demanding fixes. At an event last month in Farmington Hills, Peters expressed frustration with the website and said "there was plenty of time to get this ready," according to local media.

Peters also has voted to delay the law's individual mandate by a year. Schauer is no longer in Congress.

The online, state-level insurance markets were envisioned as the new portal to coverage for people who don't have health plans on the job. But the federal market was overwhelmed by technical problems when it opened Oct. 1.

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Attorney wants investigation of city clerk over Arab-American voter suppression

    Attorney wants investigation of city clerk over Arab-American voter suppression

    Tuesday, July 29 2014 11:43 PM EDT2014-07-30 03:43:20 GMT
    It is the tale of two cities. one paints a picture of a meticulous Dearborn Heights city clerk, following the law and fighting for a fair election. The other a story of abuse of power, mishandled ballots and voter suppression.Fatima Abdrabboh is an attorney and Michigan's director of the Arab-American Anti-Discrimination Committee the largest chapter in the country. She is calling for a full-scale investigation into claims that Walter Prusiewicz mishandled ballots from Arab-American voters fo...
    It is the tale of two cities. one paints a picture of a meticulous Dearborn Heights city clerk, following the law and fighting for a fair election. The other a story of abuse of power, mishandled ballots and voter suppression.Fatima Abdrabboh is an attorney and Michigan's director of the Arab-American Anti-Discrimination Committee the largest chapter in the country. She is calling for a full-scale investigation into claims that Walter Prusiewicz mishandled ballots from Arab-American voters fo...
  • Warren grandparents upset after grandchildren see racist graffiti at park

    Warren grandparents upset after grandchildren see racist graffiti at park

    Tuesday, July 29 2014 11:15 PM EDT2014-07-30 03:15:40 GMT
    Tuesday afternoon Bruce and Lubertha Callaway took their grandchildren to Shaw Park in Warren when they saw something they couldn't believe.
    Tuesday afternoon Bruce and Lubertha Callaway took their grandchildren to Shaw Park in Warren when they saw something they couldn't believe.
  • 3-year-old shocked, downed power lines electrify fence

    3-year-old shocked, downed power lines electrify fence

    Tuesday, July 29 2014 10:51 PM EDT2014-07-30 02:51:19 GMT
    A 3-year-old boy is in the hospital after getting shocked by an electrical charge.
    A 3-year-old boy is in the hospital after getting shocked by an electrical charge.
  • Download the FOX 2 Apps


  • FOX 2 News Five-Day Forecast
Powered by WorldNow

FOX 13 / WTVT-TV
3213 West Kennedy Blvd.
Tampa, Florida 33609
Main: (813) 876-1313
Newsroom: (813) 870-9630
Fax: (813) 871-3135

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices