Lawsuit: Priest not allowed to celebrate Mass during shutdown - FOX 13 News

Lawsuit: Priest not allowed to celebrate Mass during shutdown

Posted: Updated:
ATLANTA -

A Georgia priest has filed suit against the U.S. Navy claiming that he was banned from giving Mass during the government shutdown.

Freedom of religion is an American freedom protected by the First Amendment. But during the government shutdown, that freedom was allegedly temporarily taken away at a chapel in south Georgia at the Naval Submarine Base Kings Bay.

"There was a sign on the door that said, ‘Due to the government shutdown, there will be no Mass until further notice,'" Richard Thomson of the Thomas More Law Center said via Skype from Ann Arbor, Mich.

Thomson said that Catholic priest, Father Ray Leonard, a civilian contract priest to the military, was shocked by the chapel shut down, especially after he spent time in China working with the poor who were denied their religious liberties.

"He never dreamed that coming back to the United States, he would be denied his religious freedom," Thomson said. "They threatened him with arrest had he entered the church."

On behalf of Father Leonard and a co-defendant parishioner, the center filed a lawsuit against the Departments of Defense and Navy and Secretaries of Defense and Navy. Within a day, the government responded.

"They indicated that they wanted Father Leonard to begin his Mass immediately the next day," Thomson.

Despite the victory, the Thomas More Law Center said the lawsuit will continue to make sure Father Leonard and other military chaplains won't be prevented from conducting religious services if there is another government shutdown.

"We hope to have a precedent that will say with a government shutdown under the Pay Our Military Act, priests and pastors still have a right to perform their duties," Thomson said.

Thomson says the lawsuit is focused squarely on Constitutional rights and is not about making money. He's asking for $1 in damages.

  • More Local NewsMore>>

  • Atlanta Falcons

    Falcons 2014-2015 schedule released

    Falcons 2014-2015 schedule released

    Wednesday, April 23 2014 10:13 PM EDT2014-04-24 02:13:59 GMT
    The NFL has released the 2014-2015 season schedules and the Atlanta Falcons slate of games provides plenty of intrigue. Here are a few items of interest. Week 1 will be a rematch of last year’s season opener, only this time, the New Orleans Saints come to the Georgia Dome. The Falcons play the Detroit Lions in London in Week 8. It’s a game fans will have to get up early to watch. It airs at 9:30 a.m. EST.
    The NFL has released the 2014-2015 season schedules and the Atlanta Falcons slate of games provides plenty of intrigue. Here are a few items of interest. Week 1 will be a rematch of last year’s season opener, only this time, the New Orleans Saints come to the Georgia Dome. The Falcons play the Detroit Lions in London in Week 8. It’s a game fans will have to get up early to watch. It airs at 9:30 a.m. EST.
  • GBI issues amber alert for two-year old girl

    GBI issues amber alert for two-year old girl

    Wednesday, April 23 2014 6:46 PM EDT2014-04-23 22:46:51 GMT
    Maliah Harris Maliah Harris
    The Georgia Bureau of Investigation has issued a Levi’s Call, Georgia’s Amber Alert. The Mississippi Highway Patrol is on the lookout for 2 year old Maliah Harris. Harris is believed to have been abducted in from Caledonia Mississippi Wednesday morning. Harris is described as a white two-year-old female with blonde hair. Authorities said Harris was possibly abducted by Donald Boyd Harris. Boyd is described as a 34-year old 5’11” white male with brown hair and blue eyes. Authorities believe th...
    The Georgia Bureau of Investigation has issued a Levi’s Call, Georgia’s Amber Alert. The Mississippi Highway Patrol is on the lookout for 2 year old Maliah Harris. Harris is believed to have been abducted in from Caledonia Mississippi Wednesday morning. Harris is described as a white two-year-old female with blonde hair. Authorities said Harris was possibly abducted by Donald Boyd Harris. Boyd is described as a 34-year old 5’11” white male with brown hair and blue eyes. Authorities believe th...
  • Governor signs controversial gun bill into law

    Governor signs controversial gun bill into law

    Wednesday, April 23 2014 6:12 PM EDT2014-04-23 22:12:43 GMT
    A few hundred gun rights advocates gathered for Wednesday's bill signing in Ellijay with top officials including House Speaker David Ralston and bill sponsor Rep. Rick Jasperse.
    A few hundred gun rights advocates gathered for Wednesday's bill signing in Ellijay with top officials including House Speaker David Ralston and bill sponsor Rep. Rick Jasperse.
Powered by WorldNow

FOX 13 / WTVT-TV
3213 West Kennedy Blvd.
Tampa, Florida 33609
Main: (813) 876-1313
Newsroom: (813) 870-9630
Fax: (813) 871-3135

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices