An apparent propane tank explosion destroyed a house and set fire to several neighboring homes in Stamford, Conn., authorities said.
The 911 call came in just after 2 p.m. for a home on the 300 block of Webbs Road in the northern part of the city.
The blast sent debris flying at least 40 yards from the home. The debris field from the blast was extremely large.
Fire companies from Fairfield County and also Westchester County, N.Y., were called in to respond to the blast and the fire. Firefighters appeared to have gotten the fire under control.
"It was a scene out of Hell. It really was," said Stamford Police Chief Jon Fontneau. "The house was leveled, smoke, there was debris in the trees, glass shards, front door, back door thrown many feet away."
Fox 5 News reported that the owner was not inside the home when the explosion took place but was taken to a Stamford hospital with very minor injuries.
The blast is believed to have taken place in an underground 500-gallon propane tank, but fire officials said they are investigating.
"We do have some heavy machinery on location and they're going to start sifting through the debris to find what caused this," said Ted Jankowski, the city's public safety director.
Real estate site Zillow listed the home's size at more than 6,000 square feet. It was built in 1984 and last sold in 2006 for $1.1 million. It contains six bedrooms and 4.5 bathrooms. It was located on a 1.25 acre lot.
FOX 13 / WTVT-TV
Didn't find what you were looking for?