2 school employees accused of sex abuse - FOX 13 News

2 school employees accused of sex abuse

Posted: Updated:
NEW YORK (MYFOXNY) -

Two school employees in Brooklyn are accused of sexually abusing two teenage female students.

William Abreu, assistant principal at the Progress High School for Professional Careers in Williamsburg and Juan Martinez of Progress Inc., an after-school program, allegedly forced the students to perform sex acts on them when both were hired to do clerical-type work.

One of the girls was comforted by Abreu in 2009 after she came to him with concerns about being bullied. He offered her a job and eventually the girl was required to perform sex acts on Abreu, according to a report released by the office that investigates misconduct in New York City schools.

The second girl was an illegal immigrant. She reportedly said she had to pay Abreu for being his girlfriend or he threatened to go to the immigration authorities. Abreu allegedly raped the girl over the course of a month.

The report also says Abreu took $1,500 from the girl's mother and promised falsely that he would use it to hire an immigration lawyer for her.

The investigation began after Abreu was suspended for making inappropriate comments to three female teenage students.

Martinez is accused of forcing a 16-year-old student to perform oral sex on him in 2011.

Education department officials are seeking Abreu's termination, according to Erin Hughes, a spokeswoman for the department.

Martinez is ineligible to work for the department.

The case has been referred to the Brooklyn district attorney's office for possible prosecution.

  • Brooklyn NewsBrooklyn NewsMore>>

  • Eric Garner's family seeks federal probe of police custody death

    Eric Garner's family seeks federal probe of police custody death

    Friday, July 25 2014 5:46 PM EDT2014-07-25 21:46:48 GMT
    Family members of a man who died in police custody, the Rev. Al Sharpton and others met with federal prosecutors Friday to press for an investigation into the death. An amateur video shows a plainclothes police officer placing Garner in what appears be a chokehold last week while arresting him on Staten Island. The 43-year-old Garner can be heard gasping, "I can't breathe!" Chokeholds are banned under New York Police Department policy.
    Family members of a man who died in police custody, the Rev. Al Sharpton and others met with federal prosecutors Friday to press for an investigation into the death. An amateur video shows a plainclothes police officer placing Garner in what appears be a chokehold last week while arresting him on Staten Island. The 43-year-old Garner can be heard gasping, "I can't breathe!" Chokeholds are banned under New York Police Department policy.
  • Camping without leaving NYC (or even Manhattan)

    Camping without leaving NYC (or even Manhattan)

    Friday, July 25 2014 5:15 PM EDT2014-07-25 21:15:28 GMT
    If you thought camping meant leaving New York City, fuggedaboutit. Inwood Hill Park in Upper Manhattan and several other parks in the five boroughs are waiting for you and your family. New York City's family camping program, run by the Parks Department, is in full swing. No cars needed; your MetroCard will get you there.
    If you thought camping meant leaving New York City, fuggedaboutit. Inwood Hill Park in Upper Manhattan and several other parks in the five boroughs are waiting for you and your family. New York City's family camping program, run by the Parks Department, is in full swing. No cars needed; your MetroCard will get you there.
  • Lyft to start New York City service after deal with officials

    Lyft to start New York City service

    Friday, July 25 2014 4:06 PM EDT2014-07-25 20:06:49 GMT
    The on-demand ride-sharing app Lyft says it is starting limited service in New York City after reaching agreement with state and city officials to resolve regulatory issues. New York's attorney general and Department of Financial Services say the company agreed to operate "in full compliance" with existing laws and regulations, and that it will start its city service Friday night with commercial drivers only.
    The on-demand ride-sharing app Lyft says it is starting limited service in New York City after reaching agreement with state and city officials to resolve regulatory issues. New York's attorney general and Department of Financial Services say the company agreed to operate "in full compliance" with existing laws and regulations, and that it will start its city service Friday night with commercial drivers only.

Powered by WorldNow

FOX 13 / WTVT-TV
3213 West Kennedy Blvd.
Tampa, Florida 33609
Main: (813) 876-1313
Newsroom: (813) 870-9630
Fax: (813) 871-3135

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices