A headlining entertainer's son was recovering on Tuesday, after an accident at an Atlanta pool almost cost the young boy his life.
Usher's 5-year old son, Usher Raymond V, was hospitalized after his arm got stuck in a pool drain as he played in the pool late Monday afternoon.
It took four people to eventually pull him away from the drain's suction. First responders transported the little boy to a nearby hospital where he was placed in the intensive care unit.
He's expected to make a full recovery, but the accident highlights the dangers of one of summer's most loved pasttimes.
South Tampa's Seal Swim School says it's critically important that parents make sure pools have proper drain covers in place before anyone sets foot in the water.
"A loose article of clothing, the hair, it's easy to get stuck in there and you can't really help yourself at that point," Seal Swim School's Danette Boger said Tuesday.
Most public pools have caps in place, after legislation passed back in 2007 mandating that facilities make changes to ensure pool safety.
Still, some pools, especially residential ones, may have out-of-date covers or none at all. Experts say even if you have a drain cover, you know where the drain's shutoff valve is located. Shutting down the valve releases some of the drain's suction.
"It is extremely important, especially for children ages 2-4 and especially little boys. They're very spontaneous and fearless and it does just take a second," Boger said.
For more information about pool drain regulations and caps, visit www.poolsafely.gov
FOX 13 / WTVT-TV
Didn't find what you were looking for?