Highland Park apartment complex evacuated after CO detected - FOX 13 News

Highland Park apartment complex evacuated after carbon monoxide is detected

Posted: Updated:
Belle Vista Glen Apartments in Highland Park Belle Vista Glen Apartments in Highland Park
HIGHLAND PARK, Mich. (WJBK) -

The Belle Vista Glen Apartments in Highland Park were evacuated Tuesday night after the electricity went out and carbon monoxide was detected inside.

More than 100 residents live in the complex.

Power was lost when two transformers were knocked out by a quick storm that blew through the area just after 7:00 p.m.

A backup, diesel-powered generated kicked on, but it was blowing carbon monoxide into the building's air vents, prompting the evacuation.

DTE Energy began working immediately to restore power. Residents were allowed to return to their apartments after MichCon deemed it safe.

Powered by WorldNow

FOX 13 / WTVT-TV
3213 West Kennedy Blvd.
Tampa, Florida 33609
Main: (813) 876-1313
Newsroom: (813) 870-9630
Fax: (813) 871-3135

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices