Allee Willis, Tyree Guyton meet over lunch at a Detroit junkyard - FOX 13 News

Allee Willis, Tyree Guyton meet over lunch at a Detroit junkyard

Posted: Updated:
Allee Willis, Tyre Guyton and friends eat lunch at a junkyard in Detroit. Allee Willis, Tyre Guyton and friends eat lunch at a junkyard in Detroit.
DETROIT (WJBK) -

He is an artist known for The Heidelberg Project, and she wrote some of the biggest dance and soundtrack hits of all time.  Tuesday, they met in an unlikely place.

As a light rain began to fall on a junkyard on Detroit's east side, waiters served a catered lunch to artist Tyree Guyton, song writer Allee Willis and friends.

"We have been talking about a collaborative project, helping her to come back here to the city and wanting to do something here, and I'm excited," Guyton said.

It was a "funk-tion in the junk-tion," a meeting of creative minds.

"It just blows my mind to come here [the junkyard].  I find peace here and pieces," Guyton said.

Pieces of scrap that will become art.  Meanwhile, the colorful Willis wrote "September" and "Boogie Wonderland" for Earth, Wind and Fire and "Neutron Dance" for the Pointer Sisters.

"I was born in Detroit.  I was raised in Detroit.  I absolutely love Detroit.  I've lived in Los Angeles 30 years, but my love has never died for the city," she said.

As such, Willis has an Indiegogo campaign going and a song called "The D."

"I'm coming back in September to record with, I hope, hundreds of thousands of Detroiters.  I would love everyone in the city on this record," she said.

• Jason CarrJason CarrMore>>

Detroit's smallest deli is big in character

Wednesday, July 16 2014 6:13 PM EDT2014-07-16 22:13:00 GMT
    At 212 E. Grand River stands a storefront that is no more than 10 feet wide, but what it lacks in size it makes up for with its sandwiches.

Tiger Stadium site redevelopment plans move ahead

Tuesday, July 15 2014 8:23 PM EDT2014-07-16 00:23:08 GMT
    Right now the baseball diamond at the old Tiger Stadium is being used by little leaguers and even some vintage baseball teams. But that could change, even before this season is over.

Thomas Video and DVD store in Royal Oak soon to close

Tuesday, July 8 2014 9:28 PM EDT2014-07-09 01:28:02 GMT
    This is the kind of place film director Quentin Tarantino might have worked had he grown up in metro Detroit.  He did visit the Thomas Video and DVD store in Royal Oak once.
  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

Jury acquits man in Eastern Michigan football player death

Monday, July 28 2014 8:32 PM EDT2014-07-29 00:32:20 GMT
    A jury has acquitted a man in the robbery-slaying of Eastern Michigan University football player Demarius Reed.

Dearborn man charged with torture, murder of sister

Monday, July 28 2014 8:10 PM EDT2014-07-29 00:10:00 GMT
    A Dearborn woman is dead and her own brother is behind bars charged with her murder.What happened in the 7500 block of Bingham street Saturday, still has neighbors wondering, 'why.'"I wept, I cried, it's horrible," said neighbor Virginia Leonard.A brother allegedly strangled his own sister, stabbed her several times, and eventually killing her"I'm sure it's a very horrible thing for that family," Leonard said. "Not only did the parents lose a daughter, they lost basically a son too, and it's ...

Charges to be determined after teen dies in car crash

Monday, July 28 2014 7:59 PM EDT2014-07-28 23:59:07 GMT
    Seven teenagers were on their way back from a bonfire late Friday night. A 16-year-old girl was behind the wheel of the Ford Expedition with her mom also in the car.
Powered by WorldNow

FOX 13 / WTVT-TV
3213 West Kennedy Blvd.
Tampa, Florida 33609
Main: (813) 876-1313
Newsroom: (813) 870-9630
Fax: (813) 871-3135

Didn't find what you were looking for?
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices