Nanny found fit for trial in stabbing deaths - FOX 13 News

Nanny found fit for trial in stabbing deaths

Posted: Updated:

By COLLEEN LONG | AP

NEW YORK (AP) -- A nanny charged with stabbing two small children to death last year while their mother picked up her other child from a swim lesson was found fit for trial Friday.

Police said they found Yoselyn Ortega last October in the bathroom of her employer's Upper West Side apartment. The bodies of 6-year-old Lucia Krim, called Lulu, and her 2-year-old brother, Leo, were nearby in a pool of blood, and Ortega had stabbed herself as well. She was taken to a hospital.

Ortega was examined by two mental health professionals, Justice Gregory Carro said in Manhattan state Supreme Court. Both found that she could assist in her defense in a meaningful way and that she was mentally fit to proceed to her trial. Her lawyer, who declined to comment outside court, is challenging those results.

Ortega has pleaded not guilty to murder. Her sister has said she loved the children and is a peaceful woman.

After the children's funeral, their shattered parents established the Lulu & Leo Fund to raise money for children's education and enrichment programs. They started a Facebook page for the fund, filled with Lulu's art and photos of the smiling little girl and her brother.

Ortega's next court date was set for May 6.

  • Manhattan NewsManhattan NewsMore>>

  • Man struck and killed by NYC subway train

    Man struck and killed by NYC subway train

    Saturday, April 19 2014 3:19 PM EDT2014-04-19 19:19:38 GMT
    A man in his 60s was killed by an oncoming train in midtown Manhattan after jumping on the tracks to grab his personal belongings that fell.
    A man in his 60s was killed by an oncoming train in midtown Manhattan after jumping on the tracks to grab his personal belongings that fell.
  • Family of teen shot and killed by police sues NYC

    Family of teen shot and killed by police sues NYC

    The family of a 16-year-old Brooklyn boy whose fatal shooting by police last year sparked days of protests has filed a federal wrongful death lawsuit against New York City.
    The family of a 16-year-old Brooklyn boy whose fatal shooting by police last year sparked days of protests has filed a federal wrongful death lawsuit against New York City.
  • Woman wanted for baby snatch attempt in custody

    Woman wanted for baby snatch attempt in custody

    Friday, April 18 2014 9:57 PM EDT2014-04-19 01:57:17 GMT
    Police have taken into custody the woman believed to have tried to push a stroller with a baby inside away from a nanny in Chelsea. Tara Anne McDonald, 46, was being evaluated at a hospital Friday night. The attempted kidnapping occurred on 8th Ave. and 17th St. at about 3:45 p.m. on Thursday, police said.
    Police have taken into custody the woman believed to have tried to push a stroller with a baby inside away from a nanny in Chelsea. Tara Anne McDonald, 46, was being evaluated at a hospital Friday night. The attempted kidnapping occurred on 8th Ave. and 17th St. at about 3:45 p.m. on Thursday, police said.
Powered by WorldNow

FOX 13 / WTVT-TV
3213 West Kennedy Blvd.
Tampa, Florida 33609
Main: (813) 876-1313
Newsroom: (813) 870-9630
Fax: (813) 871-3135

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices