New vision for WTC arts center - FOX 13 News

New vision for WTC arts center

Posted: Updated:
  • Sept. 11More>>

  • Memorial remains free

    Sept. 11 Museum president defends $24 admission fee

    Sept. 11 Museum president defends $24 admission fee

    The president of the National September 11 Memorial and Museum is defending the decision to charge a $24 adult admission fee when the museum finally opens in May 2014 after some 9/11 families criticized the price tag.
    The president of the National September 11 Memorial and Museum is defending the decision to charge a $24 adult admission fee when the museum finally opens in May 2014 after some 9/11 families criticized the price tag. Joe Daniels pointed out that the 9/11 Memorial complex receives no federal, state, or local funding to defray its projected $63 million annual operating cost and that the memorial plaza, which is already open, will continue to remain free.
  • NYPD remembers 23 killed on 9/11

    NYPD remembers 23 killed on 9/11

    Wednesday, September 11 2013 11:24 AM EDT2013-09-11 15:24:00 GMT
    The New York Police Department is remembering 23 members killed in the line of duty on Sept. 11, 2001.
    The New York Police Department is remembering 23 members killed in the line of duty on Sept. 11, 2001.
  • Cuomo, Billy Joel lead 9/11 motorcycle ride to WTC

    Cuomo, Billy Joel lead 9/11 motorcycle ride to WTC

    Wednesday, September 11 2013 11:10 AM EDT2013-09-11 15:10:02 GMT
    New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo and singer Billy Joel paid tribute to victims of 9/11 with a commemorative ride to ground zero with members of the FDNY motorcycle club.
    New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo and singer Billy Joel paid tribute to victims of 9/11 with a commemorative ride to ground zero with members of the FDNY motorcycle club.

NEW YORK (AP) - There's a new vision for the planned performing arts center at the World Trade Center site - as a multidisciplinary space, not just a center for dance.

The center's director, Maggie Boepple, told The New York Times the facility would encompass theater, music and film, as well as dance. The last proposal had called for it to be called the International Dance Center, with the Joyce Theater as its primary tenant.

But the city says the adjustment was necessary to make the Frank Gehry-designed center a viable enterprise in Lower Manhattan.

The Joyce's executive director, Linda Shelton, said she was pleased the theater would still be a part of the planned arts center.

Boepple said it's looking for an artistic director for the center, projected to open in 2019.

 

Information from: The New York Times, http://www.nytimes.com

Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

  • Manhattan NewsManhattan NewsMore>>

  • Man struck and killed by NYC subway train

    Man struck and killed by NYC subway train

    Saturday, April 19 2014 3:19 PM EDT2014-04-19 19:19:38 GMT
    A man in his 60s was killed by an oncoming train in midtown Manhattan after jumping on the tracks to grab his personal belongings that fell.
    A man in his 60s was killed by an oncoming train in midtown Manhattan after jumping on the tracks to grab his personal belongings that fell.
  • Family of teen shot and killed by police sues NYC

    Family of teen shot and killed by police sues NYC

    The family of a 16-year-old Brooklyn boy whose fatal shooting by police last year sparked days of protests has filed a federal wrongful death lawsuit against New York City.
    The family of a 16-year-old Brooklyn boy whose fatal shooting by police last year sparked days of protests has filed a federal wrongful death lawsuit against New York City.
  • Woman wanted for baby snatch attempt in custody

    Woman wanted for baby snatch attempt in custody

    Friday, April 18 2014 9:57 PM EDT2014-04-19 01:57:17 GMT
    Police have taken into custody the woman believed to have tried to push a stroller with a baby inside away from a nanny in Chelsea. Tara Anne McDonald, 46, was being evaluated at a hospital Friday night. The attempted kidnapping occurred on 8th Ave. and 17th St. at about 3:45 p.m. on Thursday, police said.
    Police have taken into custody the woman believed to have tried to push a stroller with a baby inside away from a nanny in Chelsea. Tara Anne McDonald, 46, was being evaluated at a hospital Friday night. The attempted kidnapping occurred on 8th Ave. and 17th St. at about 3:45 p.m. on Thursday, police said.
Powered by WorldNow

FOX 13 / WTVT-TV
3213 West Kennedy Blvd.
Tampa, Florida 33609
Main: (813) 876-1313
Newsroom: (813) 870-9630
Fax: (813) 871-3135

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices