St. Petersburg home destroyed by kitchen fire - FOX 13 News

St. Petersburg home destroyed by kitchen fire

Posted: Updated:
Investigators with St. Petersburg Fire & Rescue say the home did not have a working smoke detector. Investigators with St. Petersburg Fire & Rescue say the home did not have a working smoke detector.
ST. PETERSBURG (FOX 13) -

A 41-year-old St. Petersburg man was hospitalized and his residence destroyed when fire broke out early Sunday morning.

The unidentified victim suffered smoke inhalation and was transported to Bayfront Medical Center where he is listed in stable condition.

According to a St. Petersburg Fire & Rescue report several units were dispatched to 4056 18th Ave. South just after 5 a.m. When they arrived heavy smoke was emitting from the front of the wood-frame house.

Firefighters quickly found the lone occupant coming out of a side door. Investigators say the blazed started in the kitchen and rapidly made its way into the attic.

The resident told firefighters that he started cooking something and then fell asleep. Two burners were going on the stove the report states and the home did not have a smoke detector.

The man said he became aware of the fire when he started choking. The incident has been ruled accidental.

All residents in St. Petersburg are eligible to receive free smoke alarms. If you are in need please call 727-893-7233.

No other injuries were reported.

 

Powered by WorldNow

FOX 13 / WTVT-TV
3213 West Kennedy Blvd.
Tampa, Florida 33609
Main: (813) 876-1313
Newsroom: (813) 870-9630
Fax: (813) 871-3135

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices