Battle over odor from landfill in New Jersey - FOX 13 News

Battle over odor from landfill in New Jersey

Posted: Updated:

By MATT ALVAREZ

NEW JERSEY (MYFOXNY) -- Roxbury Township, N.J., residents say the smell coming from a landfill is so bad that they have created bumper stickers to draw attention to their plight.

Jim Stoltz Jr. and his dad say nearly 200 people living in homes near the Fenimore Landfill are fed up with the rotten egg-like stench in their neighborhood.

"People have begun to back out on contracts to purchase homes," Stoltz Jr. said. "I would suspect that a home is barely sellable at the moment."

Debbie O'Brien said she had no idea that the landfill, which was closed 35 years ago, would be purchased and reopened by Strategic Environmental Partners in 2012.

O'Brien said the dump is causing a whole host of quality of life issues.

"We became aware when we smelled the odor in the air and when the trucks came over, our quality of life has diminished ever since," O'Brien said.

So now the homeowners have filed a class-action lawsuit against the current owner of the landfill to shut it down and receive compensation for damages.

But according to an attorney representing Strategic Environmental Partners, the company is working to cap the landfill to take away the current odor.

The company issued this statement: "Strategic has made every effort to control odor emissions from the site but has not received approval from the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection to apply its odor control product. The expert appointed by the court has confirmed that there is no threat of any health hazard posed by the landfill odors."

A public hearing about the landfill will be held on February 28.

  • New Jersey NewsNew Jersey NewsMore>>

  • Jane Dornick "BusyBusy Mom" please guilty to sexual exploitation of a minor

    Jane Dornick "BusyBusy Mom" please guilty to sexual exploitation of a minor

    Tuesday, July 22 2014 10:30 AM EDT2014-07-22 14:30:37 GMT
    Photo courtesy of TAPinto.netPhoto courtesy of TAPinto.net
    South Plainfield resident Jane Dornick, 53, pleaded guilty, prior to the selection of a jury, to Count One of an indictment charging her with three counts of sexual exploitation of a child. Dornick was arrested on Feb. 19, 2013. The remaining counts will be dismissed at sentencing. Dornick entered her plea before U.S. District Judge Freda L. Wolfson in Trenton federal court.
    South Plainfield resident Jane Dornick, 53, pleaded guilty, prior to the selection of a jury, to Count One of an indictment charging her with three counts of sexual exploitation of a child. Dornick was arrested on Feb. 19, 2013. The remaining counts will be dismissed at sentencing. Dornick entered her plea before U.S. District Judge Freda L. Wolfson in Trenton federal court.
  • AT&T cell antennas face legal snag; public will make its case Sept. 18 before vote

    AT&T cell antennas face legal snag; public will make its case Sept. 18 before vote

    Tuesday, July 22 2014 10:28 AM EDT2014-07-22 14:28:36 GMT
    Photo courtesy of TAPinto.netPhoto courtesy of TAPinto.net
    In November of last year, ATT attorney Judy Fairweather promised: "I will come back with an army (of experts)" in her bid to convince the Zoning Board of Adjustment to grant multiple variances that would allow her company to install 12 cell antennas on the NJ American Water Tower on Buxton Road. At the end of the meeting on Thursday, Fairweather all but sounded retreat after bowing to the request by residents, who asked that the next meeting be moved to Sept. 18.
    In November of last year, ATT attorney Judy Fairweather promised: "I will come back with an army (of experts)" in her bid to convince the Zoning Board of Adjustment to grant multiple variances that would allow her company to install 12 cell antennas on the NJ American Water Tower on Buxton Road. At the end of the meeting on Thursday, Fairweather all but sounded retreat after bowing to the request by residents, who asked that the next meeting be moved to Sept. 18.
  • Search for masked robbers in Caesars heist

    Search for masked robbers in Caesars heist

    Tuesday, July 22 2014 8:22 AM EDT2014-07-22 12:22:25 GMT
    The hunt is on in southern New Jersey for two suspects who made off with more than $180K from Caesars Atlantic City casino. The brazen robbers reportedly stole the cash from two plastic boxes on the casino floor. The robbery occurred on Monday at about 6 a.m. The masked robbers took off in a vehicle. The State Police Casino Gaming Bureau is handling the investigation.
    The hunt is on in southern New Jersey for two suspects who made off with more than $180K from Caesars Atlantic City casino. The brazen robbers reportedly stole the cash from two plastic boxes on the casino floor. The robbery occurred on Monday at about 6 a.m. The masked robbers took off in a vehicle. The State Police Casino Gaming Bureau is handling the investigation.
Powered by WorldNow

FOX 13 / WTVT-TV
3213 West Kennedy Blvd.
Tampa, Florida 33609
Main: (813) 876-1313
Newsroom: (813) 870-9630
Fax: (813) 871-3135

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices