The Harbour Walk apartment complex in Town and Country was no match for the intense orange flames that tore through several buildings Saturday night.
Fortunately nobody was injured but the blaze destroyed eight units, leaving a total of 29 residents looking for a new place to live.
"Watching it burn down was kind of mind blowing," said Beau Massimo, who lived a few units away from where the fire broke out.
On Sunday those affected salvaged what they could from what used to be living rooms and bedrooms. Furniture and other personal items were now charred remains.
"[I am in] shock," explained Harbour Walk resident Martine Conley. "Like, this really didn't happen."
According to a Hillsborough County Fire Rescue report it took crews approximately 25 minutes to get the fire under control.
Ken McCullough says his two Jack Russell terriers were trapped inside his bathroom. Firefighters rushed in to save them. McCullough was relieved.
"They're my dogs," he said. "Anyone [who has a pet] understands what your dogs mean to you."
A few tense moments followed the rescue as crews had to give them oxygen once they got outside. One of McCullough's pets – Sweet Girl – almost didn't make it.
"The little girl dog wasn't even moving," McCullough added. "They revived her completely; she was freaked out and covered in smoke."
Poppy - the male - still has a bit of a cough on Sunday, attributed to a big of smoke inhalation. McCullough is confident they'll both be fine.
"Thank you to the Red Cross and thanks to firefighters they all did great," he said.
All residents forced out by the fire realize they have a long road ahead in order to piece their lives back together. They are all just very happy nobody was hurt.
The official cause of the blaze has yet to be determined but it is believed to be electrical in nature.
FOX 13 / WTVT-TV
Didn't find what you were looking for?