Police search for suspect in attacks on Asian-Americans - FOX 13 News

Police search for suspect in attacks on Asian-Americans

Posted: Updated:
NEW YORK (MYFOXNY) -

The NYPD has identified the man they believe is responsible for a series of brutal attacks on Asian Americans in Manhattan.

"(In) the eight robberies and assaults, all of the victims were Asian. All were struck- nose broken, teeth broken; money and cell phones were taken," NYPD Cmsr. Ray Kelly told Good Day New York on Monday.

Kelly showed viewers a photo of Jason Commisso. The suspect has a long rap sheet including more than 30 arrests, said Kelly.

Commisso allegedly targeted Asian-Americans in East Harlem and parts of the Upper East Side since January 17th

Over the past week, the suspect assaulted six Asian-American residents by repeatedly punching them in the face and head and forcefully removing their property in elevators, said police.

The latest incident took place on Friday when two Asian-American residents were assaulted.  

Community members joined by Council Member Melissa Mark-Viverito held a press conference Saturday morning in East Harlem to denounce the crimes saying this kind of violence will not be tolerated.

Initial descriptions of the suspect describe him as a light-skinned, black or Hispanic male, 6'0"- 6'2", 200 - 230 lbs.

He was wearing a black jacket and a black doo-rag or skull cap. 

Crime Stoppers is currently offering up to $2,000 in cash for information leading to the arrest and indictment of the person responsible for these crimes. 

Anyone with information can call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-577-TIPS (8477).

  • Manhattan NewsManhattan NewsMore>>

  • Man struck and killed by NYC subway train

    Man struck and killed by NYC subway train

    Saturday, April 19 2014 3:19 PM EDT2014-04-19 19:19:38 GMT
    A man in his 60s was killed by an oncoming train in midtown Manhattan after jumping on the tracks to grab his personal belongings that fell.
    A man in his 60s was killed by an oncoming train in midtown Manhattan after jumping on the tracks to grab his personal belongings that fell.
  • Family of teen shot and killed by police sues NYC

    Family of teen shot and killed by police sues NYC

    The family of a 16-year-old Brooklyn boy whose fatal shooting by police last year sparked days of protests has filed a federal wrongful death lawsuit against New York City.
    The family of a 16-year-old Brooklyn boy whose fatal shooting by police last year sparked days of protests has filed a federal wrongful death lawsuit against New York City.
  • Woman wanted for baby snatch attempt in custody

    Woman wanted for baby snatch attempt in custody

    Friday, April 18 2014 9:57 PM EDT2014-04-19 01:57:17 GMT
    Police have taken into custody the woman believed to have tried to push a stroller with a baby inside away from a nanny in Chelsea. Tara Anne McDonald, 46, was being evaluated at a hospital Friday night. The attempted kidnapping occurred on 8th Ave. and 17th St. at about 3:45 p.m. on Thursday, police said.
    Police have taken into custody the woman believed to have tried to push a stroller with a baby inside away from a nanny in Chelsea. Tara Anne McDonald, 46, was being evaluated at a hospital Friday night. The attempted kidnapping occurred on 8th Ave. and 17th St. at about 3:45 p.m. on Thursday, police said.
Powered by WorldNow

FOX 13 / WTVT-TV
3213 West Kennedy Blvd.
Tampa, Florida 33609
Main: (813) 876-1313
Newsroom: (813) 870-9630
Fax: (813) 871-3135

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices