Man says he doesn't remember killing wife - FOX 13 News

Man says he doesn't remember killing wife

Posted: Updated:
TAMPA (FOX 13) -

A Plant City man accused of beating his wife to death with a bat took the stand in his own defense Tuesday. An emotional Lawrence Dickey testified that he drank so much the night that his killed his wife Bea that he doesn't remember.

Bea Dickey was the highest ranking civilian employee at the Polk County Sheriff's Office. She was executive director of the Office of Business Affairs. The couple went to a Journey concert on the night of her death.

Tuesday, Lawrence testified that he drank 11 beers and did two shots of tequila. He told the jury he didn't remember returning home that night or getting a bat from the couple's garage.

He said he remembered leaving the concert and then nothing else until he found his wife bleeding.

"I was standing over the edge of my bed and she was lying there and blood was coming out of her head. And my softball bat was laying next to her," he told the jury, in tears.

Lawrence Dickey's two children and Bea Dickey's son also testified. All three were home when Bea was killed.

His 13-year-old son Lawson testified that his father first told him that his mother, who is not Bea Dickey, was an "angel" and would guide him. Then he said he heard his father walk into the garage of the home and pick up a bat.

Lawson said he knew it was a bat because of the sound it made when his father dropped it.

"I heard him going to the bedroom and then a couple seconds later, I heard three whacks," Lawson said.

Lawson's sister, 16-year-old Taylor Dickey, testified that she first heard tires screeching outside. She walked into her father and stepmother's room and found Bea Dickey.

"I walked into the room and she was breathing really heavily and I saw blood," Taylor said through tears.

Lawson testified that he heard the tires screech, as well. "My sister comes running out and she goes inside the room. She sees [Bea] and she tells Dillon to call 911 and she tells me not to go in there," said Lawson.

Police say Lawrence Dickey then drove to the Plant City Police Department and turned himself in.

His defense attorneys argue that Dickey's actions don't meet the standard for first-degree premeditated murder.

Prosecutors are not seeking the death penalty. Instead, Dickey could face life in prison if convicted of first-degree murder.

The prosecution rested its case Tuesday. The trial continues Wednesday morning.

Powered by WorldNow

3213 West Kennedy Blvd.
Tampa, Florida 33609
Main: (813) 876-1313
Newsroom: (813) 870-9630
Fax: (813) 871-3135

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices