Homeless man given boots by officer identified - FOX 13 News

Homeless man given boots by officer identified

Posted: Updated:
MYFOXNY.COM -

The family of the homeless man who received a pair of boots by a NYPD officer in Times Square was stunned to find out he was their relative.

The New York Post says the homeless man's name is Jeffrey Hillman and his brother, Kirk Hillman was surprised when he saw a copy of The Post with his youngest brother on the front page.

The 54-year-old vagrant gained national attention when NYPD officer Larry DePrimo brought him a pair of boots. A tourist from Arizona captured the moment on video and it went viral.

Kirk Hillman's wife told The Post she followed the story on TV, but never recognized the homeless man as her own brother-in law. She said the last time they talked to him was about a year ago.

Kirk, Jeffrey and their brother Alfred grew up in South Plainfield, NJ. The family said Jeffrey has been jobless since the 1980's.

Hillman has been living in homeless shelters and most recently in Hell's Kitchen and Harlem, according to The Post.

  • Manhattan NewsManhattan NewsMore>>

  • Man struck and killed by NYC subway train

    Man struck and killed by NYC subway train

    Saturday, April 19 2014 3:19 PM EDT2014-04-19 19:19:38 GMT
    A man in his 60s was killed by an oncoming train in midtown Manhattan after jumping on the tracks to grab his personal belongings that fell.
    A man in his 60s was killed by an oncoming train in midtown Manhattan after jumping on the tracks to grab his personal belongings that fell.
  • Family of teen shot and killed by police sues NYC

    Family of teen shot and killed by police sues NYC

    The family of a 16-year-old Brooklyn boy whose fatal shooting by police last year sparked days of protests has filed a federal wrongful death lawsuit against New York City.
    The family of a 16-year-old Brooklyn boy whose fatal shooting by police last year sparked days of protests has filed a federal wrongful death lawsuit against New York City.
  • Woman wanted for baby snatch attempt in custody

    Woman wanted for baby snatch attempt in custody

    Friday, April 18 2014 9:57 PM EDT2014-04-19 01:57:17 GMT
    Police have taken into custody the woman believed to have tried to push a stroller with a baby inside away from a nanny in Chelsea. Tara Anne McDonald, 46, was being evaluated at a hospital Friday night. The attempted kidnapping occurred on 8th Ave. and 17th St. at about 3:45 p.m. on Thursday, police said.
    Police have taken into custody the woman believed to have tried to push a stroller with a baby inside away from a nanny in Chelsea. Tara Anne McDonald, 46, was being evaluated at a hospital Friday night. The attempted kidnapping occurred on 8th Ave. and 17th St. at about 3:45 p.m. on Thursday, police said.
Powered by WorldNow

FOX 13 / WTVT-TV
3213 West Kennedy Blvd.
Tampa, Florida 33609
Main: (813) 876-1313
Newsroom: (813) 870-9630
Fax: (813) 871-3135

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices