Firefighters who rescued two children from a burning home in East Point on Monday are talking about the experience. Crews found the kitchen up in flames, and later found the children inside.
According to East Point fire officials, firefighters responded to a burning home on Valley View Drive and found two children inside. A 3-year-old boy was found unconscious and barely breathing, and a 12-year-old girl was found hiding in a closet by firefighter Scott Thompson. He pulled her out, and both children were safely rescued from the house.
Lt. Thompson said when they carried the 12-year-old out of the house, she was not breathing.
"We started CPR and within seconds, she spontaneously started breathing on her own and that, the feeling-- no feeling like that in the world," said Thompson.
The battalion chief said it was emotional to see the firefighters bringing the two lifeless bodies out of the home, and to see them revived was amazing.
Authorities say the 3-year-old and the 12-year-old were taken to Grady Memorial Hospital's burn unit where they are both recovering. Firefighters said Thursday that they're doing extremely well.
The battalion chief also said there was not a smoke detector in the home. They emphasize that it is important to have the safety device in your home.
FOX 13 / WTVT-TV
Didn't find what you were looking for?