Roller coaster in ocean will be removed - FOX 13 News

Roller coaster in ocean will be removed

Posted: Updated:

A roller coaster swept off a New Jersey amusement pier by Superstorm Sandy won't remain as a tourist attraction partially submerged in the ocean.

Seaside Heights Mayor Bill Akers says the town and the owners of the Casino Pier are in talks to remove what remains of the Jet Star Roller Coaster.

The mayor last week told a TV station that the coaster would make a "great tourist attraction." But the mayor now says that was an off-handed comment that he shouldn't have made.

Casino Pier officials say they are still assessing the damage.

The mayor says construction of a new boardwalk should begin in January and be ready by Memorial Day.

  • New Jersey NewsNew Jersey NewsMore>>

  • County honors Morris Marine who lost legs fighting in Afghanistan

    County honors Morris Marine who lost legs fighting in Afghanistan

    Tuesday, September 16 2014 1:57 PM EDT2014-09-16 17:57:28 GMT
    Seven months after losing his legs in an IED explosion while fighting in Afghanistan, United States Marine Sgt. Aaron Alonso was honored by the Morris County Board of Freeholders for his courage and service. Alonso, of Lake Hopatcong, was deployed one week after his wife gave birth to the couple's daughter. The explosion happened in Nad Ali, Afghanistan, in early February this year.
    Seven months after losing his legs in an IED explosion while fighting in Afghanistan, United States Marine Sgt. Aaron Alonso was honored by the Morris County Board of Freeholders for his courage and service. Alonso, of Lake Hopatcong, was deployed one week after his wife gave birth to the couple's daughter. The explosion happened in Nad Ali, Afghanistan, in early February this year.
  • Cops: Lacey committeeman punches another official in face at Gille Park

    Cops: Lacey committeeman punches another official in face at Gille Park

    Tuesday, September 16 2014 1:55 PM EDT2014-09-16 17:55:37 GMT
    Lacey police gave Township Committeeman Mark Dykoff a summons for striking fellow Township Committeeman David Most at a gathering near the pavilion at Gille Park on Sunday, Police Chief David A. Paprota said.Sgt. Paul J. Sullivan and Patrolman Daniel Ricciardella responded to a report of an assault at 1:13 p.m. on Sept. 14 at the park, the chief said.
    Lacey police gave Township Committeeman Mark Dykoff a summons for striking fellow Township Committeeman David Most at a gathering near the pavilion at Gille Park on Sunday, Police Chief David A. Paprota said.Sgt. Paul J. Sullivan and Patrolman Daniel Ricciardella responded to a report of an assault at 1:13 p.m. on Sept. 14 at the park, the chief said.
  • Man charged in quadruple homicide, former Brick resident's murders

    Man charged in quadruple homicide, former Brick resident's murders

    Tuesday, September 16 2014 1:53 PM EDT2014-09-16 17:53:26 GMT
    The man Florida authorities singled out as a suspect in a quadruple homicide involving three former Brick, N.J. and Lehigh Valley residents now faces four first-degree murder charges. Adam Matos was charged in the deaths of his ex-girlfriend, her parents and her boyfriend, late Monday afternoon.
    The man Florida authorities singled out as a suspect in a quadruple homicide involving three former Brick, N.J. and Lehigh Valley residents now faces four first-degree murder charges. Adam Matos was charged in the deaths of his ex-girlfriend, her parents and her boyfriend, late Monday afternoon.
Powered by WorldNow

FOX 13 / WTVT-TV
3213 West Kennedy Blvd.
Tampa, Florida 33609
Main: (813) 876-1313
Newsroom: (813) 870-9630
Fax: (813) 871-3135

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices