A hero is going home for the holidays. His name is Dante and he is a 3-year-old Labrador retriever who saved a woman from getting bitten by a poisonous snake.
"I have talked to his doggie mom," Jessica Lawson of the SPCA of Florida told FOX 13 on Tuesday. "She can't wait to have her Dante home."
A few months ago, a woman who was taking care of Dante was taking him for a walk. All of a sudden, he lunged at something just inches away from her feet, and flung it. It was a cottonmouth snake.
Unfortunately, it bit Dante in the nose and leg.
"It could have been me," said Gudrun Astriano, Dante's companion.
Dante was given anti-venin, blood transfusions, and a therapy that has not been used for pets until fairly recently. Hyperbaric therapy pushes oxygen into the bloodstream so that wounds can heal more quickly.
"It helped and probably saved his life," said Dr. James Raatz, an SPCA veterinarian.
Now Dante will be flying home, recovered and ready to go, on Wednesday. He will be leaving on a plane out of Orlando International Airport in the afternoon.
Didn't find what you were looking for?