BOSTON (FOX 25 / MyFoxBoston.com) - A mandatory evacuation has been ordered in the southeastern Massachusetts town of Dartmouth as Hurricane Sandy intensifies.
Massachusetts Emergency Management Agency spokesman Peter Judge says officials ordered residents of several low-lying streets in the Bliss Corner neighborhood to leave their homes. A shelter was set up at the Council on Aging.
Gov. Deval Patrick said earlier that voluntary evacuations were advised in sections of New Bedford, Scituate, Lynn and Plum Island.
The state's major utilities were reporting about 27,000 outages at about mid-day Monday, with more anticipated.
The MBTA was suspending all service on the Boston-area system at 2 p.m. Monday, and it was unsure when it would resume.
The storm was expected to produce wind gusts of up to 75 mph on Cape Cod.
No deaths or injuries were reported in Massachusetts.
For more information on the storm, click here.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
FOX 13 / WTVT-TV
Didn't find what you were looking for?