Second arrest in fatal home invasion - FOX 13 News

Second arrest in fatal home invasion

Posted: Updated:

Four men burst into a home back in June, claiming to be the police. An innocent man was murdered, but now the real police are a step closer to solving this case.

St. Pete police arrested the second of four men wanted for the murder of Richard Shaw. His family is thrilled now that two of the men accused of killing him are behind bars.

"Oh, we're overwhelmed, the family is so happy, it's bringing us closer to some closure," said Shaw's sister-in-law, who asked that we not reveal her name since two of the suspects are still at-large. Still, she is ecstatic.

"That's great, that's wonderful," she exclaimed. "I've been praying for this I'm telling you! Two down! Two to go!"

Their four faces were covered with masks and hoodies. They yelled, "Police! Police!," and burst through Shaw's door. Rick Shaw had just lost his wife Tory to cancer. Nine days later, he died from a single bullet in that home invasion. It was a shot you could hear on his own security video.

St. Pete police arrested Charles Stone back in August, who then gave up suspect number two, Justin Hart. And that led detectives to the Oak Court Apartments in the 3700 block of 9th Avenue N. They got their break Wednesday around 5 in the afternoon.

The officers had been trailing Hart for quite some time, and when they called out to him, he left no doubts, they had the right guy.

"As he came out of the apartment, and our detectives swooped-up on him, they immediately asked him his name, at that point he said, I'm the guy you've been looking for," said Mike Puetz with the St. Pete Police Department.

Both men are in the Pinellas County Jail on home invasion and first-degree murder charges.

"We've been told by some of these folks, they actually consider it a relief to get caught," said Puetz.

Detectives have a pretty good idea who pulled the trigger in that fatal shooting, but won't reveal that until the case goes to trial.

"In the eyes of the law, there's no distinction made between the man that pulls the trigger and the person that just holds the door open," said Puetz.

There are still two more suspects out there and lingering questions that torture this family.

"We're still grieving over the family, and we're still wanting to know why, why they chose that house, why did they kill Rick?" his sister-in-law asked.

The Shaws' sons are still coming to grips with losing both parents, but hold out hope that answers are coming.

"They're gonna get caught sooner or later," she said confidently. "Justice is gonna be served!"

The family was present for Charles Stone's first court appearance last month, but he didn't have an attorney, so they sent him back to prison.

His court date's been pushed back to the day after New Year's. The family says they'll be there, to hopefully get the answers they need to hear, and finally get some closure.

Powered by WorldNow

3213 West Kennedy Blvd.
Tampa, Florida 33609
Main: (813) 876-1313
Newsroom: (813) 870-9630
Fax: (813) 871-3135

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices