A judge in Sanford on Thursday granted the release of George Zimmerman, who is accused of shooting and killing Trayvon Martin, on $1 million bond.
Zimmerman awaits trial on a second-degree murder charge. It's not clear how long it will take Zimmerman, 28, to arrange his release, or if that might start immediately.
Zimmerman was previously released on $150,000 bond, but it was revoked after the judge said he misled the court about how much money he and his wife had.
Zimmerman's legal defense said there is enough money in a fund to cover the new bond, which is 10 percent, or $100,000.
The decision follows a bond hearing that seemed more like a trial, with Zimmerman's defense attorney, Mark O'Mara, explaining why he and his wife had not mentioned the funds.
Prosecutors said a website in Zimmerman's name raised $135,000 at the time of his first bond hearing. And Zimmerman's family even argued at that hearing that they had limited money because he was out of work.
Prosecutors also claimed the couple talked in code during recorded jailhouse conversations about transferring donations to bank accounts.
Zimmerman's wife, Shellie, was charged with perjury over the incident. Her bond of $1,000 was posted within 90 minutes.
Zimmerman, 28, is accused of killing the unarmed Martin, a 17-year-old African-American, in a gated community in Sanford on Feb. 26.
He claims the shooting was in self-defense and has pleaded not guilty.
The six-week interval between Martin's death and Zimmerman's arrest sparked nationwide protests, with many claiming the shooting was racially motivated.
FOX 13 / WTVT-TV
Didn't find what you were looking for?