Call it one small step toward making gas pumps a thing of the past.
On Thursday, AAA Club South unveiled the first of 100 electric car charging stations at its offices in Palm Harbor and Westshore.
The station was installed at the Westshore office, where FOX 13’s Jen Epstein spoke with AAA official Jessica Brady, and another is set to open in Palm Harbor in July.
"You pull up, plug it in, push a button and you're good to go," she said. "
VIDEO: Watch Brady explain how the stations work
A charging session should take anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour.
People can charge their electric cars for free at the stations between 6:30 a.m. and 8 p.m. for the first year. That, however, will change eventually.
It’s part of a $37 million installation initiative by ChargePoint America that aims to install 4,600 electric car stations across the country by October.
Here is the list of initial charge station locations in Hillsborough County:
- Pierce Street Parking Garage, 319 N. Pierce St.
- St. Pete Times Forum, 401 Channelside Drive
- Environmental Protection Commission of Hillsborough County, 3629 Queen Palm Drive
- Jimmie B. Keel Regional Library, 2902 W. Bearss Ave.
- Jan Kaminis Platt Regional Library, 3910 S. Manhattan Ave.
- Brandon Regional Library, 619 Vondenburg Road
- Town 'N County Commons, 7606 Paula Drive
- Hillsborough Community College, 4001 W. Tampa Bay Blvd.
FOX 13 / WTVT-TV
Didn't find what you were looking for?